52-Channel Loudspeaker Rig
Bespoke loudspeaker array for spatial audio research
Based at the AudioLab's Genesis 6 Building (York Science Park)
- 50-channel Ambisonic loudspeaker system constructed using a Lebadev grid
- Augmented with 2 additional speakers to produce an embedded 7.1.4 playback system
- Used primarily for binaural audio research
- Allows for head-tracked binaural audio
- Also used for mixing content for Ambisonics/ object-based formats
- Space has a reverberation time of approximately 90 ms
8030 & 8040 loudspeakers
Constructed using a bespoke mounting system in a 50-point Lebadev grid configuration.
In-house developed decoders
Decoding and equalisation has been designed and implemented specifically for this system by members of our lab.
The computational power required to render 7OA in realtime, allowing for the composition of immersive spatial mixes.
Mix audiovisual media from the sweet spot of the loudspeaker array.
Load in in custom HRTF sets
Decoding to headphones facilitates the testing of different HRTF sets.
Enables head-tracked audio to be played back to a listener wearing headphones from within the loudspeaker array.
Loudspeakers vs Binaural
Switch back and forth between the loudspeakers and different HRTF sets for critical evaluation.
Reaper and Pro Tools
Established workflows using both Reaper and Pro Tools to produce 7OA materials.